Tuesday 29 April 2008

Policeman's Heel

Policeman's what?

Its a term used to describe a condition I have developed called plantar fasciitis. Its probably come about through training without proper progressive overload (too much too soon) and carrying too much weight.

Wiki describes it as "a painful inflammatory condition caused by excessive wear to the plantar fascia of the foot or biomechanical faults that cause abnormal pronation of the foot."

I had this a year or so ago, saw a consultant podiatrist for it. He prescribed rest. It worked.

Oh well, thats out of the question; so pain it is then. Back to the training...

I have been running doing two half marathons a week, Saturdays and Wednesdays since my last post with some 5 milers in between. During the weekend halves, I have been doing a few miles walking at a fast 5k pace to get my speed up. Its going well and I am not really tired (as in have to go to bed immediately) afterwards now and am happy that my core fitness is getting stronger.

Not a lot to report really, I am not going to let the foot thing stop me unless it gets too painful to train. Right now its painful when I get up in the morning but it does not seem to be getting any worse.

I want to do a 20 miles with my friend fellow Parish entrant Bryan at the weekend. He doesn't know that yet so we will see how it goes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a bruised heel that took 2 months to heal. I did not stay off of it, I sought out carpet and thick cushioned shoes. It was a difficult 2 months.