Monday 17 March 2008

Kneesy Does it

Last week was a good one for me. I feel like I am making progress. I got out again on Friday and did a nice 4 mile run through the Bride hills. On Saturday I got up early while the girls went to Ballet in Douglas and went out.

Funny thing for me is that I can run for two hours but walking for two hours is harder as it puts a lot of strain on my knees. Last weekend I had to run walk - alternating every 15mins to take the strain off. The irony is that run-walking is supposed to alleviate the strain of running giving you a chance to recover while walking, whereas I am run-walking to alleviate the strain of running!? If I am to walk for a day or so in June non stop, it seems reasonable that I should be able to walk for two hours non stop in March. So that's exactly what I did. I didn't have a GPS or anything but I guesstimate it was between 9 and 10 miles.

Now its Monday morning. I got up early to do a quick 4 mile run and my right knee is too sore. It feels inflamed under the kneecap. I know its from locking it back racewalk style for those two hours. I have been doing strength exercises in both my shoulder and my ITB to help prevent injury but the knee pain is back. Problem is its even too tender to run on.

So here I am wondering why I am continually beset by problem week after week. Maybe I overdid it? Perhaps so, but if I am to walk all day long by June I am rather painted into a corner and have little choice but to walk further.

I am worried about my knee and wonder if I should try and walk fast instead of doing knee locking racewalking. Can I go fast enough to do the Parish this way? What do other people do?

Ugh!

Answers on a postcard please...

No comments: